Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Manhattan...My way.

So I had a few things on hand that were traditional Manhattan and a few things that were not. To quote an incredible smart individual, "Originality is nothing but judicious imitation", that old chap was Voltaire.

While the origins of the Manhattan are disputed, I do know this much for sure: it's Whiskey (usually Rye), Vermouth, and Bitters, three simple ingredients. What makes this cocktail yours is all a matter of choice and proportion. Some people make 1:1, 4:1, 10:1. Me, personally I go with the 4:1, which translates into 2 ounces and .5 ounce, but for the spin I changed. Also, you'll notice in my Manhattan I added a Ginger Liqueur and used rhum instead of whiskey. The change in base changes the flavor profile a lot, and Canton serves as a flavoring agent and modifier which results in a Manhattan with a bit off the edge taken off and a subtle ginger note and warmth.

My Manhattan
2.0 ounce Barbancourt Trois Etoile
0.5 ounce Domaine Du Canton (DDC) Ginger Liqueur
0.5 ounce Noilly Pratt Rouge
2 Dashes West Indian Orange Bitters
1 Bar spoon Luxardo Marasche Cherry Juice
Marasche Cherries for garnish

Stir, serve up, garnish and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment